Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Vomiting and Diarrhea (AKA Gastroenteritis)

Tonight, I was enjoying a kid-friendly dinner with my boys, when I looked up just in time to see my oldest holding his stomach, with terror in his eyes. I quickly grabbed the little one and a tray, but was not fast enough to catch all the vomit the ensued. While trying to simultaneously calm both of my boys and clean up the mess, a very friendly waitress brought over a Sprite. My sweet boy wanted to take a drink, but I quickly told her to take it away. Instead, I cleaned up, ordered a Gatorade to go and started my 7 step program to taking care of a child with vomiting (and the diarrhea most likely to follow).

1) Get out a big bucket and towel
2) Wait 20-30 minutes before giving anything to drink
3) Start VERY slowly with drinking. Babies and toddlers should get 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of Pedialyte every 5 -10 minutes for 30-60 minutes. Older children can have sips every 5- 10 minutes of water or Gatorade. Next I try Popsicles - Pedialyte pops for babies and toddlers. You can also freeze Gatorade or even give ice cubes.
4) Wait until your child asks for food, then start with bland, easy to clean up foods. I like bread, crackers, soup. Give them only small amounts at a time.
5) Wait for the diarrhea to start (could be right away or 3 days from now). When the vomiting has stopped and the diarrhea has started, stop giving Pedialyte and do not give juice. This will make the diarrhea worse. You can let them eat whatever they want, but foods like bread, bananas, rice, noodles (like the BRAT diet) can help make the poop more solid. I also like to add yogurt (especially live-active culture) to the regimen.
6) Start a Probiotic. Several are available over the counter. I like Culturelle, but any brand will work. This will help your child re-establish normal gut bacteria and shorten the duration of diarrhea.
7) Wash hands and surfaces frequently!

If you child has persistent vomiting and can not tolerate any fluids for 3-4 hours in a younger child or 5-6 hours in an older child and they have signs of dehydration, like extreme fatigue, dry eyes (no tears with crying), dry mouth, dark urine or no urine they need to be seen by a pediatrician. There are anti-nausea medications available for children, though most do not need them. The majority of viral gastroenteritis illnesses last 1-3 days (if your child is immunized against Rotavirus), but children can continue to have diarrhea and a few episodes of vomiting daily for several more days. Some children develop an intolerance to milk for 1-2 weeks after a bout with viral gastroenteritis, this can lead to continued symptoms when your child eats or drinks milk products. Children tend to have upper abdominal pain with vomiting, but this should improve when the vomiting stops.

Signs that it is not gastroenteritis and your child needs to see a pediatrician:
1) Severe lower abdominal pain - especially on the right side
2) Fever and vomiting, without diarrhea after 2-3 days
3) Cough associated with vomiting
4) Vomiting with any urinary symptoms - especially pain while peeing
5) Vomiting bile - not yellow stomach acid, but dark green, disgusting vomit
6) Vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
7) Pooping blood or mucous

At bedtime, I held my little boy, while he held his towel and puke bowl. For now, he is sleeping and I hope that we are done with puke in our household for the night!

Heather Joyce, MD

4 comments:

Kylie said...

That's fantastic. I've also found (from personal experience in our family based on the recommendations from my father-in-law/pediatrician) that 1 spoonful of frozen coca-cola classic (I know, I know), every 10-20 minutes for the first hour or so does wonder to settle a tummy and then allow for the gentle fluids, bland diet regimen, etc.

It's so easy to get too eager and jump ahead too fast, so well done on offering some guidance for what can be an unnerving situation!! Hope your wee one is better very soon!

Cheers!
Kylie (family med doc)

Carrie said...

Why is it that some doctors tell Moms to stop nursing during stomach viruses? I have researched it and have had personal experience with it. If I had not nursed my girls through some GI viruses we would have been in the hospital. All of the ped's at our pediatrician office suggest continuing nursing but the nurses offer the opposite advice and it always drives me crazy. For one thing, it is nearly impossible to explain to a baby that they can not nurse. I am just curious. We have been through 2 stomach bugs in the last 6 weeks and my 14 month nursed through them both. She recovered faster then any of us.

Peds for Parents said...

There are very few instances when I would tell a mother to hold off on nursing and gastroenteritis is not one of them. If your baby will nurse, still wait 20-30 minutes after they vomit and then start slow. I believe you can get most babies and nursing toddlers through illnesses with continued nursing throughout. If mommy is sick too, then the baby will get antibodies from the breastmilk as an added bonus!

Peds for Parents said...

Kylie - I had never heard of the coca-cola trick, but I have been asking around and several other pediatrician recommend it. You can also buy cola syrup, without the bubbles, which is supposed to work better. Maybe I will give it a try with our next bought of gastro! Thanks. Heather